Part IV - Topics in Geometric Group Theory
Lectured by H. Wilton, Michaelmas 2017
These notes are not endorsed by the lecturers, and I have modified them (often significantly) after lectures. They are nowhere near accurate representations of what was actually lectured, and in particular, all errors are almost surely mine.
This is an HTML version of the notes, generated using some horribly-written scripts and pdf2htmlEX. These are not guaranteed to display well, but do let me know if something is broken. Note however that I cannot help you if your browser does not support standard HTML features (eg. this part is known not to work well with w3m). You can either view all sections in a single page (Full version), or access individual sections below. If you want to download a pdf, head to the Notes page.
- V Full version
- 1 Cayley graphs and the word metric
- 2 Van Kampen diagrams
- 3 New groups from old: A crash course in Bass–Serre theory
- 4 Hyperbolic groups
- 4.1 Definitions and examples
- 4.2 Quasi-geodesics and hyperbolicity
- 4.3 Dehn functions of hyperbolic groups
- 5 CAT(0) spaces and groups